Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Resetting the Canterbury Tales:Stage 5

Resetting the Canterbury Tales: Stage 5

I was generally pleased with the outcome of this assignment and with the feedback I received and I thought it extremely helpful as I can now incorporate this, or at least try to, into my future assignments.
I realized some of my errors from even before I received feedback, though sadly at that time, there was nothing I could have done as the due date for the assignment had already passed. For example, only after I had submitted my essay on the due date did it occur to me that I should have mentioned something about my choice of audio for the slideshow in the essay. I was so fixated on elaborating on the slideshow that I neglected the audio, which was also a significant part of the assignment and thus this would have made my entire composition seem lacking as I did not fully integrate all modes as my assignment description had suggested. Nonetheless at least I recognized my error. Although it could have been avoidable, I learnt from my mistake.

Secondly, I have realized from my feedback that my ideas not flow as seamlessly as they should. Although I try my best to organize them so that my essay would not be a muddle of points scattered about the page and my reader would not be confused, I realize that this is something I need to pay attention to and work on. Just as I don’t want my reader to be confused by the layout of my essay, so I should also try to have my points systematic and connected well. Using topic/transition sentences as suggested would definitely be an improvement.

And lastly, my citations and overall presentation do need some improvement and so my intention is to look back at old essays, for example from English 1101, where my citations were not as bad, and work on my future essays using this, as well as other MLA sources, as a guide. Also, I am aware that I have this habit of trying to cram all my ideas into extremely long sentences and I will definitely keep this in mind when writing. Especially since for these particular assignments we will be posting to a blog, which is a totally different forum from writing and submitting a whole paper, I realize that I need to break down my giant ideas into smaller pieces that would be easier for the reader to chew on, swallow and digest.

Overall, I was pleased with everything. I understand my composition skills are not perfect and I do have areas to improve but I was also happy to see that my composition was not totally in shambles. Now I can use this as a spring board for my future assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment